Village Chronology

The beginning of 20th century– the village vas municipal place (Potpec Municipality) with court, barns, local government, etc.. The  main profession was agriculture, livestock, pottery. There were 72 households and 385 residents.

1939- the first village school, located on the territory of Gvozden Terzic’s household (today’s Terzica Avlija), started to work.

1941- After the battle on Gradina, the highest point of the village, German soldiers first shot and then hanged 19 peasants at village entrance, 18 of whom were from Zlakusa.

1954- Copper mill factory from Sevojno started to work, where great number of residents were employed.

1956- People living in the hills started to descend towards fields, i.e. lower area.

1960- Electrification of the village, the first tractor was bought, etc..

1963- Financial status of people improved, the majority of the population worked in factories (Copper mill, Prvi Partizan,etc..), there were 6 pottery households in the village.

1966- A new school building was made, a monument was erected on the highest village point, Gradina.

1968- The first water system in the village was made

1975– Bridge over the river Djetinja was made out of concrete (thus ensuring easier approach of the motor vehicles to the village). Also, the first asphalt road was made, whereas the school was attended by 39 pupils divided into 2 classes.

1976– The railroad Belgrade-Bar was opened.

1978– There were 200ha of plum orchards in the village

1980– There was an expansion related to growing of raspberries

1983– The first telephones occurred, “Vesala” monument was erected in the memorial park

1984– Street lights were set, most of the roads were paved

1985– Direct bus line for the destination Uzice-Pozega-Uzice was introduced, ballpark was made

1990– Consolidation of the riverbed through village

1991– The first private enterprise in the village started to work, most of the residents lose their jobs in big companies and turn to agriculture. There are 216 households, 731 residents.

1992– The first sports, cultural and arts manifestation “Autumn in Zlakusa” was held

1994– The first International Symposium of Arts Ceramics was held, the interest in old pottery craft increased, younger generations start working pottery, railway stop was put into function.

1996– All the roads were paved, street lighting was extended, water system was put into function

2001– TV repeater was set on Gradina

2005– Ethno Park “Terzica Avlija” started to work. Ethno Association “Zavicaj” was founded. The first official website of the village was designed.

2006– Association of Potters Zlakusa was founded. The first manifestation Zlakusa Singing and Dancing was held.  About 60km of walking paths through Zlakusa and nearby villages were marked.

2007– Sewerage system was made and water bio-cleaner was set. The painting gallery of Vasilije Terzic was opened. Categorization of agricultural households related to rural tourism started. The village was visited by Finance Minister of Republic of Serbia (Dinkic) and Minister for Capital Investments (Ilic).

2008– Village had 21 pottery households. Raspberry was grown on 17ha, whereas plum on 50ha. 12 households were categorized for rural tourism. There were 10 registered enterprises, 15% of residents were employed out of village, 50 intellectuals from the village left to cities to work. Terzica Avlija was awarded the highest reward for the development of rural tourism in Serbia (Tourist Flower).

2009– Paragliding clud “Zlakuski soko” was founded. Paragliders’ setoff points were arranged and the first Paragliding Cup was held. About 8 ,000 domestic and foreign tourists visited the village. The first International Eco-Camp took place. The Russian Ambassador in Serbia (Konuzin) visited the village.

2010– Ethno Park “Terzica Avlija” and Ethno Association “Zavicaj” reconstructed the railway stop, banks of the river Djetinja were cleaned and arranged, welcome-boards were set. A route of European walking path E-7 was projected along the marked walking paths, a committee engaged in building of a church in the village was formed. The village was visited by Minister of Culture (Bradic)

2011– Women from the village were trained for making of national costumes within the Ethno Association “Zavicaj”. The main road through the village was repaved, Council for Village Development was formed (4 members), Minister of Culture visited the village (Markovic)

2012– Ethno Park “Terzica Avlija” and Ethno Association “Zavicaj” arranged memorial park “Vesala” and the bridge over Djetinja river. They also reconstructed street lighting poles and street lighting as well. The part of the streambed in the village center was arranged. Zlakusa was visited by French Ambassador in Serbia (Fransoa Gzavije DENIO) and American Ambassador in Serbia (Mary Warlick). Zlakusa’s pottery craft was shortlisted for the protection of Intangible Cultural Heritage by UNESCO.